Retirement Plan Risk Management: An Overview
Presented by Susan Mangiero and Stephen Rosenberg
Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 12pm EDT
Program Overview: According to estimates, global retirement assets are huge at $500 trillion. Improper decision-making about plan design, investment and risk mitigation could have an adverse impact on millions of individuals to include employees, retirees, taxpayers and shareholders. Service providers such as asset managers, banks and insurance companies are likewise impacted by bad governance and unchecked risk-taking. Everyone has a stake in the financial health of the worldwide retirement system and whether uncertainty is being adequately identified, measured, managed and monitored, especially now. New regulations, a flurry of fiduciary breach lawsuits, low interest rates, the complexity of modeling longevity, increased risk-taking, need for liquidity, cost of capital and worker mobility are just a few of the challenges that keep retirement plan executives, participants and their advisors up at night.
This one hour webinar will present an overview of retirement plan risk management to include the following:
- Description of economic and regulatory trends that influence retirement plan management liability and asset decisions;
- Discussion about retirement plan risk-taking, fiduciary liability and increased need for effective risk management protocols;
- Explanation of different categories of retirement plan risks;
- Discussion about the interrelationships of different categories of retirement plan risks; and
- What can be done, process-wise, to establish and maintain an effective retirement plan risk management program.
About the Presenters:
Susan Mangiero, PhD, AIF®, CFA®, CFE, FRM®, PPC™, PRM™
- Susan Mangiero is a managing director with Fiduciary Leadership, LLC and is a CFA® charterholder, certified Financial Risk Manager, Accredited Investment Fiduciary Analyst®, Certified Fraud Examiner, Professional Plan Consultant™ and Professional Risk Manager™.
- Her award-winning blog, Pension Risk Matters®, just turned ten years old. She is the creator and primary contributor to a second blog about investment compliance called Good Risk Governance Pays®.
- Provided testimony and behind-the-scenes forensic analysis, calculation of damages and rebuttal report commentary for various investment governance, investment performance, fiduciary breach, prudence, risk and valuation matters.
- Over 20 years of experience in capital markets, global treasury, asset-liability management, portfolio management, economic and investment analysis, derivatives, financial risk control and valuation. This includes work on trading desks for several global banks, in the areas of fixed income, foreign exchange, interest rate and currency swaps, futures and options.
- She is a frequently invited speaker and has keynoted or led workshops for organizations such as the Stable Value Investment Association, Harvard Law School, AICPA – Employee Benefits Section, National Association of Corporate Directors and Financial Executives International.
- Stephen Rosenberg is a partner at the Wagner Law Group in Boston, where he is the head of the firm’s ERISA litigation practice.
Litgated a wide range of ERISA class action, breach of fiduciary duty, denied benefit and equitable relief cases before trial courts, appellate panels and administrative agencies. He has also litigated intellectual property, contract, director and officer, complex insurance coverage and other commercial disputes, including trying cases to verdict in state and federal courts.
Frequent speaker on ERISA litigation issues, and has authored a number of articles on ERISA litigation. He authors the Boston ERISA and Insurance Litigation Blog, twice named a top Law Blog by Lexis/Nexis. Visit http://www.bostonerisalaw.com/ to read his informative blog.
Webinar Recordings are available only to Sustaining/C-Suite members: